Inbound marketing aims to turn strangers into customers and build deeper relationships with customers coming into the bank’s mobile, web, phone and in-person channels. It involves attracting people via blogs, podcasts, videos, eBooks, newsletters, white papers, and other forms of content marketing – drawing people into the company. The goal is to attract visitors to convert leads, close the sale, and delight customers enough so they become loyal customers who promote your company by sharing on social media. Inbound marketing has proven to be an extremely effective marketing method that aligns content with customers’ interests.
The value of inbound marketing certainly has not been lost on financial marketing professionals. As banks and financial institutions evolve to meet the demands of connected customers looking for digital solutions, financial services marketers are making good use of inbound marketing to further their business goals. Yet, inbound marketing can be difficult for those in the finance industry because of strict regulations and complex sales. To help financial marketers navigate inbound marketing more successfully, we have rounded up 50 tips from marketing experts and financial services thought leaders. Please note, we have listed our 50 inbound marketing tips for financial marketers here in no particular order.
1. Take the trusted advisor approach to building relationships with clients
An integrated financial marketing agency working for industry leaders across the financial sector, Talisman makes financial marketing simpler. Hayley Dawson shares Talisman’s story of adopting inbound marketing and offer tips for others who want to follow in their shoes in her blog post, How Talisman Embraced Inbound Marketing and What It Means for the Financial Services Sector.
Three key tips we like from How Talisman Embraced Inbound Marketing and What It Means for the Financial Services Sector:
- Utilize social media publishing to attract people who are interested in your services to your site
- Establishing yourself as a trusted advisor who shares advice via useful content
- Measure the effectiveness of various inbound marketing strategies
2. Work to establish trust and develop loyal customers
Docurated helps connect users to an organization’s best content and is used by leading finance, media, software, and ad agencies to improve the speed and quality of their work. In 34 Pros Reveal Their Top Strategies for Marketing Financial Services, Docurated shares insights from financial services professionals and marketing experts into the tactics and approaches that engage financial services consumers.
Three key tips we like from 34 Pros Reveal Their Top Strategies for Marketing Financial Services:
- “… nurture and have multiple contact points across different channels. You can only stay front of mind with consistent messaging and stay in touch until the customer is ready to purchase.” ~ Jason Hulot, SpeedieConsulting
- “… it’s important to have loyal customers. With that said, an effective strategy for marketing financial services is to respond to every review written online and encourage current customers to leave reviews of your financial service.” ~ Megan Wenzl, ReviewTrackers
- “Building relationships is the key to improving marketing efforts for financial services. One of the best ways to engage past, current, and potential clients is through an email newsletter.” ~ Max Cron, Online Optimism
3. The financial services industry needs to catch up with others already using content marketing
Commonwealth Financial Networks has been successfully helping independent financial advisors and their clients since 1979. They provide thought leadership and tips for financial advisors on everything from practice management and marketing to financial and estate planning.
Three key tips we like from Content and Inbound Marketing Techniques for Financial Advisors:
- Embrace inbound marketing and content marketing strategies before you fall behind
- Continue to nurture relationships with people after you close the deal
- Focus content on answering questions and solving problems for your target audience
4. Humanize your brand by making meaningful connections
The Financial Brand delivers ideas, insights, and inspiration for financial marketing executives. In his 15 Digital Strategies for Financial Marketers in 2015, Christopher Rinaldi explores digital themes for the banking industry, such as integrated marketing, quality content, and multichannel distribution.
Three key tips we like from 15 Digital Strategies for Financial Marketers in 2015:
- Deliver interesting, valuable information to customers with a consistent, relatable voice
- Understand the importance of brand awareness and engagement
- Utilize responsive design as a mobile-friendly solution to deliver a consistent experience for customers across devices
5. Think Big Data
Agency Creative, a full-service Dallas advertising agency passionate about connecting brands to consumers, shares tips and insights in their Piping Fresh Blog. In one Piping Fresh Blog post for financial marketers, Artie Megibben offers four tips. We especially like his tip to “think Big Data.”
Three key tips we like from 4 Marketing Tips that Reach More Financial Customers:
- Invest more time in analyzing consumer data to better engage customers
- Utilize automated systems and tools to optimize customer data
- Use data to measure when consumers near their credit limit, use marketing to offer an extended line of credit, track purchases with the extended credit, and deliver contextual ads for product offers via email, text, or other channels
6. Use inbound marketing as part of an effective integrated marketing strategy
BKM Marketing, an integrated marketing agency that delivers award-winning strategy, creative, and integrated program execution, shares marketing insights in their blog posts. In this particular BKM Marketing post, Gregg Sullivan explores why 77% of marketers miss their revenue targets and suggests that it is because they are not using an integrated marketing strategy.
Three key tips we like from Perspectives: Marketing Insights You Can Use Right Now:
- Marketing automation and social media are powerful marketing tools that should be part of an effective integrated marketing strategy
- Take a balanced approach to marketing with inbound and outbound initiatives
- Have the right information ready to serve to prospects and customers
7. Use email marketing as part of your inbound marketing strategy
The leading automated marketing platform for financial professionals providing an all-in-one integrated suite of marketing tools, FMG Suite share digital marketing tips in their Market in Motion Blog. Their post, The Power of Email Marketing for Financial Advisors, points to studies showing that the most effective financial professionals touch their clients 12-18 times each year to stay in the forefront of clients’ minds. That’s why email marketing is an effective inbound marketing strategy for financial marketers.
Three key tips we like from The Power of Email Marketing for Financial Advisors:
- Use email newsletters to touch and educate clients
- Send a monthly newsletter to clients, partners, and prospects
- Be sure your email campaigns are personalized, branded, and high quality with engaging videos, motivating content, and related articles
8. Have a complete understanding of your customer
Investopedia offers sharper insight for smarter investing. They also offer financial advisors tips for using inbound marketing to grow their businesses in this blog post by Andrea Travillian. One of the keys to inbound marketing in the financial industry is to have a complete understanding of your customer.
Three key tips we like from How Advisors Can Use Inbound Marketing to Grow:
- You can sabotage your inbound marketing efforts if you direct them toward the wrong audience
- First determine the type of clients you want and research their demographics to know which types of information they are looking for; then, create content specific to your audience’s needs
- Work toward ensuring your audience takes your call to action after you have made sure to get the attention of the right prospects
9. Look at inbound as giving away free stuff to earn the trust of potential customers
Boyle Public Affairs offers break-through messaging and delivery to drive dialogue and success. Readers of this Boyle blog post are treated to an interview with Marc Fey, VP of marketing at Hanson McClain. A Barron’s Top 100 investment advisory firm, Hanson McClain is an inbound marketing leader that is beating the competition by transforming itself and attracting and converting leads.
Three key tips we like from Marketing for Financial Advising Firms Goes Inbound:
- Consider yourself an educator and problem solver in the finance industry
- Prioritize converting website experiences into relationships
- Offer loads of valuable insights and advice on your website to demonstrate your knowledge and demonstrate that you can be trusted as a fiduciary
10. Establish an online presence to capture leads
As CUInsight.com co-founder and publisher, Randy Smith understands the value of sharing news, opinions, blogs posts, and more. That’s what makes CUInsight.com a great resource for this particular sector of the financial services industry. And, Ida LaBella’s CUInsight inbound marketing post is one that especially should not be missed because it shares such insightful tips as using specific keywords to attract credit union members at the right stage of their journey.
Three key tips we like from What is Inbound Marketing for Credit Unions Anyway?:
- Adapt marketing to match the behavior of prospects
- Use online content to delight current credit union members and interact with them on a personal level and to reach potential members and create brand awareness
- Remember to use related offers to capture anonymous site viewers as new contacts and then nurture them through future marketing campaigns
11. Match your specific strategy to your specific customers’ needs
An inbound marketing agency, Stargazer helps clients grow their business online. In his inbound marketing post for the financial sector, Stargazer founder Kevin Gallagher explains why this particular sector needs to create a specific strategy to meet the needs of customers.
Three key tips we like from Five Inbound Marketing Tips for the Financial Sector:
- Determine the purpose of your inbound marketing strategy and clearly define your gals, challenges, ideal customers, and ROI
- Design a dynamic website that will attract customers
- Include regular, relevant posts on financial subjects in your blog
12. Use cutting-edge techniques to stay up to date with client behaviors, needs, and expectations
Goldmine Media delivers marketing, website, and media solutions for financial professionals. They tout the need for financial marketers to stay ahead of the marketing curve in this blog post, which offers tips such as staying on trend with clients to match content to their behaviors, needs, and expectations.
Three key tips we like from Why Financial Marketers Need to Stay Ahead of the Marketing Curve:
- Be prepared for more information-savvy and selective clients and prospects
- Engage consumers by making messaging customer-centric
- Take a more robust and strategic approach to long-term marketing that focuses on key principles and a robust long-term outlook
13. Optimize site content and aim it at specific buyer personas to grow business finance companies
MarketingSherpa provides B2B and consumer marketing professionals with practical research and case studies on what is working in marketing today. As this case study of DB Squared demonstrates, an inbound strategy is a prime method for generating new leads and brand awareness. Optimizing site content for search and creating content aimed at specific buyer personas can lift page views and lead to business finance company growth.
Three key tips we like from Content Marketing: 415% Life in Pageviews via Inbound Strategy:
- Begin by optimizing websites and including content search engines can find; save email marketing for later
- Work more efficiently by generating leads to hand off to sales via website-traceable leads with content
- Perform keyword research to identify key phrases and strategize ways to increase search engine result page rankings for each individual page on your website
14. Target data-backed personas
Strategic IC is a full-service digital agency and Gold HubSpot partner that specializes in inbound and content marketing, social, analytics, and conversion rate optimization. In his Strategic IC post, inbound marketing executive Gerry Dapergolas outlines six tips financial marketers can use to see a higher ROI, such as ensuring marketing and sales team alignment.
Three key tips we like from 6 Tips to Optimise Inbound Marketing Campaign ROI:
- Build campaigns around addressing business challenges ideal prospects have
- Base buyer personas on your own client information and industry data
- Map content to your buyer’s journey
15. Take advantage of the increasing demand for online engagement
HubSpot is the world’s leading inbound marketing and sales platform, boasting more than 18,000 customers in greater than 90 countries. Their eBook, The Finance Marketer’s Guide to Inbound Marketing, debunks the myth that inbound marketing is too difficult for financial marketing professionals and points to the fact that the finance industry is seeing an increasing demand for engagement over the internet.
Three key tips we like from The Finance Marketer’s Guide to Inbound Marketing [Free Ebook]:
- Blogging is essential for growing business online
- Downloadable content dramatically increases your lead flow
- Social media builds your reach online
Cost: FREE with email registration
16. Recognize internet engagement is the top shift in the financial sector
Responsive Inbound Marketing is a Gold HubSpot partner working to create and execute inbound marketing strategies that yield results for clients and help them build partnerships. In her Responsive Inbound Marketing post, Virginia Adams touts this marketing strategy as an opportunity for financial advisors who want to stand out and get a let up on their competition.
Three key tips we like from Industry Shout-Out: Inbound for Financial Services:
- Millennials look for more engagement from financial advisors and banks and want advisors to connect with them using online tools
- Video meetings with advisors delivers internet engagement
- Develop buyer personas to better target content such as white papers, eBooks, and blogs that contains financial advice
17. Take advantage of inbound marketing to win the battle for new clients
A hybrid digital and traditional marketing professional, Richard Rawson has more than 15 years of experience in professional services firms, technology companies, and other industries. Rawson shares inbound marketing best practices in this post, which includes a three-tiered approach to helping financial services professionals succeed with their online marketing by winning more new clients.
Three key tips we like from Inbound Marketing and Lead Generation for Licensed Financial Services Professionals:
- Publish well-written content on your site or blog
- Engage and nurture prospects in a newsletter
- Inbound marketing strategy should include keyword strategy, SEO, lead generation, lead nurturing, landing pages, and web analytics
18. Focus on creating useful, relevant, interesting content
Michael Kitces is an entrepreneur, FinTech advisor, and certified financial planner who publishes the Nerd’s Eye View blog. In this post about growing planning firms via inbound marketing, Kitces reminds financial marketing professionals that creating useful, relevant, interesting content for target clients is much more efficient than traditional marketing methods.
Three key tips we like from Growing a Planning Firm in the Digital Age: The Rise of Inbound Marketing for Financial Advisors:
- Make the content public and available so your target audience can find materials easily when they search the internet
- Ensure you have a clearly defined target market
- Have a niche to more easily target an audience
19. Consistently use marketing tools to gain a competitive edge
Social Media Today offers social media insights, best practices, and tips from social marketing experts. President Brad Friedman is an inbound marketing expert whose focus is on generating leads and revenue. In his post, 3 Inbound Marketing Ideas for Financial Services Professionals, Friedman explores the power of consistently using inbound marketing tools to gain a competitive edge.
Three key tips we like from 3 Inbound Marketing Ideas for Financial Services Professionals:
- Utilize social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter to create and nurture relationships with prospects and clients
- Publish a site or blog that offers valuable, timely content to engage clients and prospects
- Create new content at least weekly and strive to publish it as frequently as possible
20. Create a blog that will drive traffic and leads
Advisor Websites creates compliant, high-quality sites for financial advisors and blogs about leveraging online marketing and social media presence. They share 3 Essential Tips for New Financial Inbound Marketers, which explores the misconceptions and best practices about inbound marketing and offers three guidelines for financial marketing professionals, such as creating a blog that will drive traffic and leads.
Three key tips we like from 3 Essential Tips for New Financial Inbound Marketers:
- Ensure your content answers the most burning questions clients have
- Continue to create content and blog posts even if you do not see the effects of your efforts for a few weeks
- Conduct A/B testing
21. Use SEO to help visitors find you online
Business 2 Community features contributors covering breaking news and top trends in social media, digital marketing, content marketing, social selling, and more. This B2C post for financial marketers includes an infographic that includes 21 tips for effective inbound marketing strategy, like using SEO to help visitors find you online.
Three key tips we like from 21 Quick Tips for an Effective Inbound Marketing Strategy:
- Properly optimize your site and content for search engines
- Use social media to drive traffic
- Direct traffic with calls to action
22. Guest post on popular industry blogs
Cent Muruganandam is a blogger and entrepreneur who creates content and infographics at YourEscapeFrom 9to5.com. In this post, he shares 27 content marketing tips in an infographic for financial marketers who want to drive more traffic and engagement. Our favorite tip is to guest post on popular industry blogs to link back to your site to increase traffic and establish you authority.
Three key tips we like from Top 27 Content Marketing tips for Every Modern Day Marketer:
- Produce quality content, not marketing content
- Create 1,000+ word long-form content to provide value to the audience (and for SEO and traffic)
- Produce content that is conversational so it is more relatable and engaging
23. Understand that inbound marketing takes a bit of time
Canada Financial, founded by Bharat Anand, is a leading financial services organization. In this blog posts geared toward financial advisors, Canada Financial points out that inbound marketing requires a bit of patience, time, and effort but will be well worth the wait.
Three key tips we like from 3 Ways Financial Advisors Can Grow Their Business Online:
- Make it easier for prospects to find you online by having a professional website and utilizing SEO
- Create a Facebook business page to share your products and services
- Strive for the highest quality content and frequent social media activity that establishes your credibility and expertise in the financial services industry
24. Don’t be held back by promotional guidelines
Econsultancy publishes independent research, analysis, and advice on digital marketing, social media, ecommerce, SEO, mobile, and tech for business. They also share case studies of finance brands that are getting inbound marketing right in this post by Hubspot campaign marketing manager Siobhán McGinty. The four companies highlighted by McGinty succeeded at being creative with inbound marketing despite promotional guidelines.
Three key tips we like from Four Finance Brands that Get Inbound Marketing:
- Use your blog to establish and position yourself as a thought leader among finance brands
- Publish timely, relevant, educational content and up-to-date news and commentary
- Invest in high-quality longer-form content to address your target audience’s challenges
25. Base inbound marketing on a solid strategic foundation
Incisive Edge, a HubSpot partner, is a leading inbound marketing agency for FinTech companies. In his Incisive Edge blog post, co-founder and director David Bowler touts the necessity of having a solid strategic foundation for FinTech marketing.
Three key tips we like from 6 FinTech Marketing Strategy Tips:
- First craft your value proposition with the strongest possible position and without considering regulation; then, use it as a starting point and edit the parts that may cause regulatory issues
- Think outside the keyword research box by brainstorming a list of search terms your audience might use
- Use social media marketing to drive leads and revenue and build brand awareness
26. Make your content stand out from the pack
Entrepreneur has been inspiring, informing, and celebrating entrepreneurs for more than 40 years. Entrepreneur contributor, business advisor, and online marketing professional Murray Newlands shares eight must-haves for a successful inbound marketing strategy in this article that financial marketers especially will find useful.
Three key tips we like from The 8 Fundamentals for a Successful Inbound Marketing Strategy:
- It is not enough to produce content; it must educate, inspire, and entertain your audience so that it can break through the clutter
- Spark dialogue and discussion with content, rather than constantly talking about your brand or trying to sell people too early or often in it
- Consider your website as a hub of information rather than as a megaphone
27. Focus marketing on attracting people
An online course discovery platform built to help shape the future of learning, SkilledUp shares tips on inbound marketing from HubSpot CEO Brian Halligan in this post. As SkilledUp blogger Lauren Holliday describes, successful inbound marketing focuses on marketing to attract people.
Three key tips we like from HubSpot’s Brian Halligan Offers Inbound Marketing Tips:
- Be willing to take risks and push the envelope with your content
- Earn people’s attention with blogs and quality content
- Create videos, blog posts, and other content that your audience wants to see or read and engage with
28. Use video as part of your inbound marketing strategy
The Weidert Group is a B2B inbound marketing agency and platinum HubSpot partner helping companies in finance attract and close more opportunities. Alex Sobal’s Weidert Group Marketing & Sales Blog post highlights the use of video as an inbound marketing technique to increase leads.
Three key tips we like from 3 Ways Financial Services Companies Can Use Video to Increaese Leads:
- Establish a web presence to access thousands of new lead opportunities, as 37% of American adults use the internet to search for financial information
- Start using social media as soon as possible
- Make connecting with the consumer in your video the top priority; do not concern yourself with whether it goes viral
29. Make inbound marketing a long-term solution
The Hitachi Group specializes in high technology and services. In his Hitachi Business Finance blog post Inbound Marketing for the Lender Finance Industry, Joey Shadeck highlights the fact that traditional marketing techniques are not as successful as inbound marketing. Shadeck suggests that inbound marketing become a long-term solution for the financial industry because of its long-term payoff.
Three key tips we like from Inbound Marketing for the Lender Finance Industry:
- Publish high-quality content on your blog to drive traffic to your finance leading website through SEO and ensure that your website is a hub for research and fact-searching among your audience members
- Use social media platforms and focus on LinkedIn to be sure your content reaches your intended audience
- Publish high-quality informational videos on YouTube and other platforms to drive traffic to your website and establish a presence on those channels
30. Use the latest trends in inbound marketing to stay ahead of the competition
CreativeAdviser, a full-service creative agency providing web design, logos and branding, marketing solutions, and video productions to financial advisers and financial planners, shares three financial marketing tips for IFAs in this blog post. Our favorite tip is to use the latest inbound marketing trends to stay ahead of the competition.
Three key tips we like from Financial Marketing: 3 Tips for IFAs to Stay Ahead in 2016:
- Make use of user-generated content (UGC)
- Get involved in interactive storytelling
- Engage your audience with episodic content
31. Know exactly what inbound marketing is
ThinkAdvisor is a professional development and thought leadership destination for financial advisors. In his ThinkAdvisor post, Serebrin Partners (formerly InCapital Marketing) president Frank Serebrin seeks to simplify inbound marketing for registered investment advisors (RIA).
Three key tips we like from 7 Things Inbound Marketing Is Not:
- Understand that inbound marking is permission based and seeks to educate and inform prospective investors and clients when they are ready to hear from you
- Recognize inbound marketing as an overall, long-term marketing strategy, rather than as content marketing
- View social media as a distribution channel of inbound marketing
32. Go beyond creating content to determine which audience and which content is best for your financial practice
In this Advisor Websites post, Sophia Park examines whether inbound marketing is viable for financial practices. While inbound marketing that is well executed is one of the most effective ways to build a financial brand and generate top leads, it requires a carefully planned strategy and testing to determine which audience and which content will work best for you.
Three key tips we like from Is Inbound Marketing Viable for Your Financial Practice?:
- Identify an ideal client or target market
- Choose the right tools and tactics and work to understand what matters to your niche and identify common pain points and problems your practice can address
- Develop a content plan to get the right content to the right people using the best tools and tactics
33. Continue to build trust and credibility by sharing your expertise using inbound marketing techniques
Financial Planning empowers independent advisors with the knowledge and practical information they need to grow a business and guide clients. In this Financial Planning post, Craig Faulkner shares three inbound marketing tricks for financial advisors, such as building trust and credibility by sharing your expertise using email campaigns, digital presentations, mobile apps, and more.
Three key tips we like from 3 ‘Inbound Marketing’ Tricks for Advisors:
- Ensure your inbound marketing strategy addresses your niche market
- Invest in an attractive website and quality content that is refreshed with new content often
- Use tools and staff members to ensure your site, videos, blog posts, and other marketing efforts are done as professionally as possible
34. Maximize message reach with SEO and social media
FA magazine delivers essential market information and strategies to qualified independent financial advisors to help them succeed in their practice. Inbound Marketing Can Help Advisors Grow is one such piece of information. Geared toward financial advisors, this post explores inbound marketing as an effective practice for getting prospects’ attention and inspiring them to engage with advisors.
Three key tips we like from Inbound Marketing Can Help Advisors Grow:
- Ensure your web site utilizes tags to describe each page’s content
- Increase the number and quality of links on your web site
- Use social media marketing to distribute content and communicate with clients and prospects
35. Shift from buying audience’s attention to earning their attention
XY Planning Network supports financial advisors who want to start, run, and grow their own firms to serve Generation X and Generation Y clients. In this XYPN post, Kali Hawlk introduces financial advisors to content marketing as a modern business practice that is part of an overall inbound marketing plan.
Three key tips we like from Content Marketing: An Intro for Financial Advisors:
- Get the audience’s attention via websites, blogs, eBooks, white papers, downloadable guides, presentations and webinars, email, and social media
- Attract clients to your business with high-quality content
- Position yourself as an expert in prospects’ eyes when they search for you online by offering a well-designed website, an informative blog full of information they need, and a free eBook or white paper
36. Approach an inbound marketing plan in layers
True Measure Wealth guides financial advisors to entrepreneurial freedom. They offer advisor insights into inbound marketing for financial advisors in this post, which emphasizes the need for developing a strategic plan to grow a financial planning business. True Measure Wealth’s top tip is to approach the marketing plan in layers by working slowly and working toward the end goal of converting traffic to clients.
Three key tips we like from Financial Advisors & Inbound Marketing: The First Step:
- Begin by defining your target market with as much detail as possible
- Create buyer personas, including client pain points
- Set yourself apart from competitors by implementing an inbound marketing strategy, maintaining a website, and publishing quality content that establishes you as a though leader and expert in the financial planning industry
37. Use online platforms to build meaningful relationships
WebpageFX helps clients increase relevant web traffic, conversions, and engagement. In the post Inbound Marketing for Financial Advisors, WebpageFX points to this marketing strategy as a way to maintain presence online to increase the odds of being found by potential clients. They urge financial advisors to use online platforms to build meaningful relationships with prospects and clients.
Three key tips we like from Inbound Marketing for Financial Advisors:
- Use SEO and pay-per-click (PPC) advertising
- Provide valuable information to readers via blog posts, white papers, videos, eBooks, and webinars
- Post information that clients will find useful, such as relevant articles about industry trends, on social media platforms
38. Trust that your content will be interesting enough for high-quality content
Intellegentia is an inbound marketing agency that specializes in lead generation, customer retention, demand generation, online surveys, and email marketing. In her Intellegentia post, Jane Broomfield frames inbound marketing as a way to educate and inform prospects and clients to improve retention while staying within the ethics, rules, and regulations governing the financial services industry.
Three key tips we like from Inbound Marketing for Finanical Services:
- Anyone can benefit from the products and services offered by the financial industry, so you can rest assured that your content has the potential to interest and engage your target audience
- Connect with millennials using online tools to share content with them
- Answer questions about services and provide information to establish yourself as an industry authority
39. Keep prospects engaged with the right content until they are ready to buy
BankSocial is a four-day conference led by social media experts in retail banking. In her blog post for BankSocial, Dawn Melesko explains why content marketing is critical to the success of financial marketers. As Melesko points out, engaging prospects with the right content takes time and is worth the wait until they are ready to buy.
Three key tips we like from Content Marketing Vital for Your FI’s Inbound Marketing Strategy:
- Find new customers by bringing in visitors to your site by offering valuable content
- Offer information and high-quality content to prospects that will build trust while they complete research as part of the buying process
- Ensure that your content helps solve your target market’s problem so you can make a great impression on them
40. Leverage communications via inbound marketing to establish your place in the marketplace
Jacobs & Clevenger is a multichannel digital direct marketing agency that provides measurable response. Sheera Eby’s post, Content Marketing is a Big Idea for Banks and Financial Institutions, urges those in the financial industry to leverage communications via inbound marketing to establish their position in the marketplace.
Three key tips we like from Content Marketing is a Big Idea for Banks and Financial Institutions:
- Create engagement and initiate meaningful dialogue with prospects and clients via strong content
- Offer educational information to help you solve a problem for consumers
- Use social media to lead users to web pages or additional sources of information
41. Drive growth with inbound marketing
WIZMEDIA is a web design and development company that helps startups and established companies in bringing their ideas to life. They share three case studies from the financial services sector to demonstrate how inbound marketing helps businesses grow. In all three cases, gaining web traffic and getting new leads via inbound marketing was the key to growth.
Three key tips we like from How 3 Financial Service Companies Grew Their Businesses Through Inbound Marketing:
- Draw people to your business with engaging content
- Ensure your blog posts are rich in keywords and include consistent meta descriptions
- Utilize landing pages to produce a constant stream of useful information
42. Combine information and infographics (and a little humor) to educate clients and grow your business
Founder of The Sales Lion, Marcus Sheridan is a keynote speaker and author on sales, marketing, and digital business. In his case study on Smarter Finance USA, Sheridan shares the inbound marketing success of Rob Misheloff, who worked tirelessly to transform his financial loan information company.
Three key tips we like from Financial industry Content Marketing Case Study: The Story of Smarter Finance USA:
- Seek to help people solve their problems by giving them as much information as they need to make informed financial decisions
- Produce high-quality, honest content consistently
- Include infographics, videos, and other resources to share more information
43. Make mobile part of your inbound strategy
Inbound marketer and Marketo marketing automation specialist Fab Capodicasa emphasizes the need for inbound marketing in the financial services industry in his post, Don’t Get Left Behind: The Rise of Digital Marketing in Financial Services. Capodicasa also highlights mobile as the key channel for interacting with customers and stresses the importance of making it part of your inbound strategy.
Three key tips we like from Don’t Get Left Behind: The Rise of Digital Marketing in Financial Services:
- Learn how to leverage mobile marketing in a way that meets security and compliance regulations
- Utilize SMS and email that are optimized for mobile
- Make use of mobile banking sites and mobile apps as marketing channels
44. Begin by defining a specific niche
InboundID is Indonesia’s first inbound marketing agency. In his inbound marketing post for financial advisors, Randy Kaseger describes why traditional approaches like cold calls are unsuccessful in the digital era. Kaseger also explores how to make this marketing practice mesh with financial planning services and includes tips such as making your first step defining a specific niche.
Three key tips we like from The Importance of Inbound Marketing for Financial Advisors:
- Keep in mind that your niche is necessary for everything from targeting the services you offer to establishing referability with clients
- Define your niche first so you can ensure your content reaches target clients
- Design your website and optimize it for searches and for mobile so target clients can find you easily
45. Deliver a seamless experience for customers
Strategis is an inbound marketing agency offering SEO, PPC management, social media marketing, and creative design services. In her Strategis post Inbound Marketing Tips for Banks, Lindsay Borgen shares advice for financial institutions looking to market products and services effectively and economically. We especially like Borgen’s tip to deliver a seamless experience for customers.
Three key tips we like from Inbound Marketing Tips for Banks:
- Deliver a seamless experience with a well-developed, responsive website, an informative blog, and easy-to-use online and mobile services
- Make your brand stand about above the rest by offering target markets the information they search for online
- Make the process seem less like a sales pitch by offering free eBook downloads that will yield information collection from leads for you
46. Realize it is possible to take advantage of inbound marketing while staying FINRA compliant
ZoomInfo helps sales and marketing teams accelerate growth by providing the most accurate and actionable B2B contact and company information. They also help financial advisors understand that inbound marketing is possible despite legal issues with compliance; in 6 Marketing Solutions for Financial Advisors, ZoomInfo suggests solutions to increase online presence while remaining FINRA compliant.
Three key tips we like from 6 Marketing Solutions for Financial Advisors:
- Tap into digital event marketing such as webinars for existing clients and potential prospects
- Utilize a tool to stay compliant while being active on social media
- Create stories for prospects by reaching out to top performing clients and asking to create case studies about them
47. Avoid producing content that is predictable or not well thought out
Jim Connolly writes one of the world’s most popular marketing blogs, Jim’s Marketing Blog. One of the reasons his posts are so popular is they offer actionable advice, such as the marketing tips in this blog post. Nearly any financial advisor looking to delve into inbound marketing will benefit from the tips Connolly offers, and we especially like his tip to avoid producing content that is predictable or not well thought out.
Three key tips we like from Top Marketing Tips:
- Don’t bother writing poor content because Google has become adept at filtering low-value material from search rankings
- Put more effort into email marketing than outsourcing your network to a social network
- Build your own email database rather than purchasing one from a list broking company
48. Increase marketing ROI with a greater focus on inbound techniques
Contentfirst Marketing operates under the principle that all marketing must start with something of value. In his Contentfirst Marketing post, John Arnott details the value of inbound marketing and urges companies like those in the financial services industry to focus on inbound techniques.
Three key tips we like from The Scoop on Inbound Marketing and Why You Should Use It:
- Recognize the value of inbound marketing, as it is a cheaper, more effective way to connect with customers and generate sales than outbound marketing
- Give consumers the option to reach out to your business if they are interested in your financial products and services
- Diversify your efforts across a variety of social media sites
49. Match the sophistication of your marketing campaigns to that of knowledgeable, savvy consumers and prospects
Scott Steinberg, keynote speaker and bestselling author on business management, technology, and digital, highlights all of the reasons that inbound marketing is a must for business and brands of all types in this blog post. As Steinberg points out, today’s consumers and prospects are connected to smartphones and other technology that requires financial marketers to ensure their campaigns are just as sophisticated as they are.
Three key tips we like from Inbound Marketing: A Must for Businesses and Brands:
- Utilize online visibility to stand out and compete for consumers
- Approach marketing campaigns and outreach strategies with new perspectives, such as using Google’s Zero Moment of Truth (ZMOT) theory, to develop them
- Define your branding by telling your story and controlling content with consistent messaging
50. Establish multiple touches to prospects in order to establish trust and generate leads
Blue Bell Marketing develops powerful digital marketing strategies utilizing content marketing, SEO, email, social media, and website design. In Creating Lead Generation Campaigns for Financial Service Companies, Blue Bell principal John Murphy explains that creating leads for those in the financial services industry works only when they establish multiple touches to prospects in order to establish trust.
Three key tips we like from Creating Lead Generation Campaigns for Financial Service Companies:
- Develop white papers or eBooks to provide valuable information to prospects
- Provide a landing page for promotional offers via an online form; collect information and nurture visitors who show interest in your content
- Promote free giveaway at the bottom of blog posts or web pages and via traditional online advertising channels such as Google AdWords